5-6 September 2007
Doubletree Hotel Houston Intercontinental Airport
Houston, TX

Wednesday, 5 September 2007
 
Welcome, Logistics, Introductions
At 0830, Ann Jochens, GCOOS Regional Coordinator, welcomed everyone to Houston, Texas, and discussed logistics for the meeting. She then introduced Ray Toll, Chair of the Board. Toll welcomed everyone to the GCOOS-RA Board of Directors meeting and extended appreciation for the volunteer work that the members of the GCOOS Board, Councils, and Committees have done to move the development of the Gulf’s regional coastal ocean observing system forward. Meeting participants introduced themselves and described their relationship to GCOOS (see Appendix A for the list of attendees with affiliations). Toll called for changes to the provisional agenda (Appendix B), which was approved with one modification to move the introduction of the Education and Outreach (E/O) Coordinator to the beginning of the E/O discussion.
 
1.0
 
Reports on Activities of GCOOS Councils and Committees
 
1.1
 
Discussion of the future of the Stakeholder Council
 
Worth Nowlin gave the Stakeholder Council report on behalf of the Council’s Chair, Robert Stickney. The Council activities were minimal this past year. The Board discussed ways to better utilize the talent on the Council. One possibility is to focus the members on the results of the sector workshops, with possible participation of 1-2 Council members on the steering team or in the workshop itself. Teleconferences and focused email updates of GCOOS activities, kept to a reasonable level, also may be beneficial. In consultation with Stickney and others, Cort Cooper will propose a plan for engaging the Stakeholder Council.
 
ACTION: Cooper will summarize for the Board suggested actions to take regarding activities of the Stakeholder Council.
 
1.2
 
Education and Outreach Activities
 
Sharon Walker introduced Tami Wells, who was hired as the GCOOS Education and Outreach Coordinator on 16 April 2007. This hire accomplished the top priority in the 2006-2007 Action Plan of the Education and Outreach Council (EOC). Walker also introduced Jessica Kastler, who is the new Chair of the EOC. She also reported that Mike Spranger is now Past Chair and that, at its June 2007 meeting, the EOC elected Margaret Sedlecky, Weeks Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Alabama, as Chair Elect.Kastler and Wells then jointly presented the report of the EOC and E/O Coordinator to the Board. The work plan for the EOC, which is also the focus of the work plan for the E/O Coordinator, was reviewed. Kastler reviewed the past activities of the EOC, including development of the Terms of Reference, definitions of education and outreach, and the Action Plan for 2006-2007. She discussed the composition and leadership of the EOC, with the emphasis on balancing representation from the five Gulf States and the education and the outreach expertise on the Council. Kastler then gave a status report on the eight tasks from the EOC action plan and the associated priorities. Two of the tasks, hire of the E/O Coordinator and creation of the EOC listserv, have been completed. With the hire of the E/O Coordinator, other tasks can now be pursued. Top priorities are to develop the EOC Strategic Plan and to provide EOC questions to the Gulf of Mexico Alliance (GOMA) Environmental Education Network (EEN) Coordinator, Lee Yokel, for use in the GOMA EEN needs assessment. Development of initial materials for traveling displays is also a high priority. The GCOOS EOC met jointly with the GOMA EEN in June 2007, with many good ideas for collaborations being discussed (see meeting minutes).
 
Wells reported that individuals from a variety of stakeholder sectors (e.g., fishing, dredging), who are not engaged formally in the GCOOS-RA structure, have been contacting her for how to obtain various types of ocean data and information. She has been keeping track of these and will prepare for the Board a summary of such requests. The Board determined that a mechanism was needed to formalize how to put this information into the GCOOS priorities lists. It was also suggested that a map of GCOOS expertise be created as an aid for referring individuals to appropriate contacts.
 
Discussion turned to the interaction of the EOC with the GCOOS Committees (Data Management and Communications [DMAC], Products and Services [PSC], and Observing Systems [OSC] Committees). All agreed that strong connections needed to be developed. It was agreed that Wells should attend the November Committee meetings and that, if appropriate individuals could be identified, that other E/O representatives might attend as well to provide effective involvement of the EOC with each of the committees.
 
As part of the hire of the E/O Coordinator, the GCOOS Office identified funds to allow two workshops, with a total of 66 individuals participating, for training the EOC over a two-year timeframe. The EOC leadership would like to change this from two, ~30-person workshops to three, ~20-person workshops to more effectively conduct the intended inreach activity. It is intended that each new workshop build on the one(s) preceding it. The Board had no objection to this approach, but wanted each workshop to be carefully planned with clearly stated goals and objectives and specific intended results and deliverables. Funding for an additional E/O workshop associated with the Data Portal is also available; it too needs to be carefully planned.
 
ACTION: Wells to provide Jochens with a summary of individual requests and a suggested mechanism for tracking these requests. Jochens to work with Nowlin to suggest a mechanism to get this information into the GCOOS priorities.
 
ACTION: Wells will work with Kastler and the EOC to prepare materials for an E/O section of the GCOOS web site.
 
ACTION: Wells should develop web pages showing locations and contact information for each type of contact (e.g., K-12 educators, outreach specialists, or interested professional media representatives).
 
ACTION: Wells to work with the GCOOS Office to develop a list of subject matter experts within GCOOS and an interactive map showing where such experts are and their contact information for eventual posting to the web.
 
ACTION: Wells will work with the EOC leadership to identify E/O representatives to attend the November meetings of our three committees and will provide those names to Jochens in September. The goal is for at least one E/O representative to be available to focus on each committee. Wells will attend the meetings, with a focus on the Products and Services Committee.
 
ACTION: In consultation with the EOC leadership, Wells will provide Jochens with (1) the expected date for completion of the draft E/O Strategic Plan and (2) timelines with estimates of required resources for all E/O action tasks. Jochens will provide the information to the Board.
 
ACTION: For all workshops being organized by our E/O folks, it is important to decide, well in advance of selecting who should be the invitees, on the specific expected workshop goals and deliverables and to include the steering committees representatives of the GCOOS Office and project PIs if funded by a separate project. Wells, Walker, and the EOC leadership will undertake this planning and report on progress to Jochens who will keep the Board informed.
 
ACTION: EOC must develop metrics that can be used to show the cost/benefit of investing in E/O.
 
1.3
 
GCOOS Observing Systems Committee
 
Stephan Howden, Chair of the OSC, gave a status report on the activities of the Observing Systems Committee. A draftof the Observing System Plan has been completed, but has many gaps in information. Howden reviewed a number of these. For example, required is a specification of what parameters at what time and space scales are to be considered for this version of the plan. Board guidance on this and similar issues will be requested. As another example, to complete the inventory, information needs to be extracted from the IOOS Regional Observation Registry; but to do this a tool requested from NOAA CSC has to be obtained. Other activities and recommendations discussed by Howden included the need for improved information exchange between the OSC and the other committees and the suggestion that a password protected web site be created for the OSC members to use to exchange information for the plan. In reviewing the membership, Howden recommended that a new member be added to represent NOAA NDBC. Nowlin then presented the concept of developing an annotated inventory of plans for end-to-end observing system elements; this inventory would be included in the Observing Systems Plan and would be updated as new system plans were developed. Plans for several such elements are already under consideration, in preparation, or completed. These include plans for the development of a proven 3-D circulation model for the Gulf of Mexico, a Regional Operations Center, a surface current observing system using HF radars, a HABs observing system, a hypoxia monitoring observing system, a carbon observing system, a pan-regional system for provision of satellite-derived products, a project to standardize local data nodes, and the strategy for education and outreach activities. This approach would provide a list of observing projects that could be selected as funding opportunities arise and would result in improved integration of academic, private, and government participation in the various aspects of the projects. The Board agreed this would be a good approach.
 
ACTION: Howden to facilitate completion of the draft Observing System Plan by the November meeting.
 
ACTION: Howden to provide the GCOOS Office with specific areas of the Observing System Plan for which he requests guidance from the Board; Nowlin or Jochens will arrange to obtain and transmit answers.
 
ACTION: Jochens to facilitate the creation of an OSC password protected web page.
 
ACTION: Nowlin to develop a preliminary annotated inventory and status of observing sub-systems extant or in planning stages.
 
1.4
 
Activities, plans and requirements of the DMAC
 
Ann Jochens provided the report on the DMAC Committee on behalf of Ed Kearns, Chair, and Matt Howard, GCOOS Data Management Coordinator. She reviewed the status of activities under the 2006-2007 Action Plan. The national DMAC effort is not moving forward due mainly to lack of funds; thus the GCOOS DMAC Committee has not been active over the past year. Jochens reported that Scott Duff, TCOON, has stepped down and should be replaced. Russ Beard mentioned that Susan Stark, NCDDC, was stepping down from the committee; he recommended the Board consider replacing her with Julie Bosch, NCDDC. The Board considered ways to move the GCOOS DMAC effort forward in light of the stalled national effort. They determined that the Committee should be engaged in the GCOOS Data Portal and Standardized Data Nodes projects recently funded by NOAA CSC.
 
ACTION: GCOOS Office staff to arrange for a major focus of the November meeting of the DMAC Committee to be to agree on DMAC standards and protocols to be set in place by our Data Nodes project.
 
ACTION: Howard and Jochens to engage the DMAC Committee in the Data Portal project as appropriate.
 
1.5
 
Activities, plans, and requirements of the Products & Services Committee
 
Russ Beard, Chair of the PSC, reported on the status of activities of the committee. He reported that three members are stepping down and made recommendations for replacements. He recommended that the Chairs of the committees talk at least quarterly to better integrate their efforts and to determine ways to support each others’ work. A major task that needs to be undertaken is a gap analysis, including both physical and ecosystem data and products. Such an analysis is very time consuming, so the PSC recommends that a proposal be submitted requesting IOOS funding to support this effort. The Board agreed that this information was critical for many aspects of GCOOS-RA work, including the Business Plan, Observing Systems Plan, Education and Outreach Strategic Plan, and Products and Services Plan. Beard then presenteda brief on the West Coast Observing System Project (WCOS), which will become operational in March 2008. Beard is fairly certain that funding will be available for re-working and serving fishery (NMFS) data from the Gulf. The West Coast Observing System set up by the NCDDC might be a useable approach or a model.
 
ACTION: GCOOS Office staff will arrange for a major focus of the November meeting of the Products and Services Committee to be to suggest actions to be taken in phases 1 and 2 of the Data Portal development project.
 
ACTION: GCOOS Office staff should investigate the applicability of a West Coast Observing System (WCOS)-type project for the Gulf and consult with Beard if there are questions.
 
1.6
 
Activities, plans, and requirements of the Membership Committee
 
Worth Nowlin reported on the activities of the Membership Committee on behalf of the Committee’s Chair, Landry Bernard. The Committee conducted elections of Board members and engaged in limited RA recruitment activities.
 
1.7
 
Council/Committee Board Member Liaison Assignments
 
To better engage council and committee members, the Board has decided to designate a liaison and alternate from the Board for each group. These liaisons will work with the Chairs to exchange information on Board and group activities and to identify and resolve issues to help the groups better accomplish their missions. The Board liaisons and alternates are:
 
Stakeholder Council: Cort Cooper with Don Roman as alternate
Education and Outreach Council: Mike Spranger with Sharon Walker as alternate
Data Management and Communications Committee: Buzz Martin with Mark Luther as alternate
Observing System Committee: Jan van Smirren with Alfredo Prelat as alternate
Products and Services Committee: Nancy Rabalais with Ray Toll as alternate
Membership Committee: Worth Nowlin with no alternate.
 
This information will be posted to the GCOOS web with the council and committee memberships. The Board discussed other ways to improve communications between the Board, Councils, and Committees.
 
ACTION: When our Committees hold telephone discussions, as the Observing System Committee apparently does regularly, representatives of the other two committees should be invited to participate. Committee Chairs to keep other Chairs and Jochens informed of calls.
 
ACTION: A quarterly meeting between the chairs of our committees should be held, primarily by teleconference, but if necessary by a face-to-face meeting. The planning for these meetings should be included in the November meeting discussions.
 
ACTION: Nowlin will revise the tentative agendas for the November Committee Meetings and send to the Board for comment.
 
ACTION: Jochens to add new liaisons to Committees and Councils to web site under membership lists.
 
2.0
 
Reports on Development Activities of GCOOS
 
2.1
 
Status of IOOS, including Ocean.US Office and NOAA’s IOOS Office
 
Worth Nowlin reviewed the Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS), the historical development of IOOS, activities of the IOOS Program Office, and GCOOS. He reported that the urban planners/developers workshop, which is a natural follow-on to the inundation workshop, would likely be the next focused stakeholder workshop to be held. The maritime transportation workshop also might be held in 2008, but it was unlikely that the recreational boating workshop would be conducted in the coming year. Funding was discussed. Beard mentioned that the Integrated Ecosystem Assessment program (IEA) could provide a non-IOOS funding source for some GCOOS activities.
 
2.2
 
NFRA Activities
 
Ann Jochens gave the report on the activities of the National Federation of Regional Associations (NFRA) on behalf of Josie Quintrell, NFRA Executive Director. The critical issue for all the regional associations is funding, with only small amounts likely to be available in the near future. The IOOS authorization legislation is moving forward, with the House bill having passed and the Senate bill expected to be considered early this fall. Both bills include provisions that name NOAA as the lead IOOS agency, provide for tort liability protection for data dissemination by RAs, and allow federal employees to participate in RAs.
 
2.3
 
Next actions in engaging Mexico (Alfredo Prelat)
 
Alfredo Prelat provided a summary of recent GCOOS activities to engage Mexican ocean observing entities in the GCOOS-RA. There have been a number of trips to Mexico by GCOOS Board members over the last year (see meeting summaries). Discussions are being held with four groups: universities (UNAM and University of Tabasco), PEMEX, SEMARNAT (Secretaria de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales), and the oceanographers of the Mexican Navy. The goals are to encourage the entities to become Associate Parties to the GCOOS-RA and to participate in the open sharing of oceanographic data sets. There has been a good exchange of information, and the operations personnel of these groups are interested in the GCOOS-RA and in the concept of open data sharing.
 
ACTION: Prelat will continue to pursue Associate status on the GCOOS-RA by universities, SEMARNAT, and Pemex in Mexico. Nowlin and Prelat will arrange through Alberto Vazquez contacts with the Mexican Navy to discuss data sharing.
 
ACTION: Sharon Walker will contact the University of Veracruz, Mexico, on behalf of the Education and Outreach Committee.
 
2.4
 
Collaborations with the Gulf of Mexico Alliance
 
Jochens reported on activities she has pursued with GOMA. In April, she participated in a GOMA Water Quality/Nutrient Task Teams meeting to plan activities for the July GOMA “All Hands” Workshop. She described GCOOS and served as a GCOOS resource person in the discussions and in several teleconferences. She attended the July GOMA workshop and presented a brief on GCOOS and collaborations with GOMA. Jochens reported on the cooperative effort of GCOOS and GOMA to submit a proposal for a pilot project to the National Water Quality Monitoring Network Council. Although the proposal itself did not succeed, it did provide GCOOS and GOMA the opportunity to actively work together on a project of mutual interest. In addition to Jochens’ continuing work with the GOMA Water Quality/Nutrient Task Teams, GCOOS and GOMA are collaborating on the development of the HABs observing system plan. Don Roman mentioned the extensive collaborations of the GCOOS EOC and GOMA EEN, including the joint meeting in June. Steve Wolfe reported that GOMA has five focus areas: water quality, nutrient reduction, habitat mapping, coastal restoration, and environmental education. These areas were selected by mutual agreement of the five Gulf coast states. The federal agencies participating in GOMA are involved with these focus areas. Each focus area has a set of specific tasks to complete over 36 months. During the All Hands workshop the progress of each task was reviewed; over 90% of the tasks are completed or on schedule to be completed within the time limit. A sixth focus area, coastal resiliency, is being developed. Water quality activities include HABs, microbial source tracking, and standardization of monitoring parameters. Nutrient activities include establishment of nutrient criteria for coastal waters and hypoxia monitoring. Funding for GOMA is through existing funding of state agencies supplemented with funds from the interested federal agencies, such as the EPA Gulf of Mexico Program and NOAA NCDDC and NESDIS. Walker mentioned that GOMA’s EEN Coordinator, Lee Yokel, and GCOOS’ E/O Coordinator, Tami Wells, usually meet for about a half day on Mondays to coordinate activities.
 
2.5
 
Status of creation of HABs Observing System Plan
 
Bart Bibler summarized the planning activities for the workshop in November to develop the HABs Observing System Plan. The information is posted to the GCOOS web, which is updated as new information becomes available. There are two working groups: research options for monitoring and observing system plan design. Each is developing a document for review and comment. The goal is to have a strawman plan completed prior to the workshop. This plan then would be the focus of the workshop activities. Because the workshop is limited to 40 participants, others will provide inputs as paper reviewers. There was discussion of possible involvement by EOC members. Due to the limited space for the workshop participants, the workshop planners suggested that the EOC provide comments on the materials posted to the web, review and comment on the strawman observing plan, and then once the plan is developed, identify possible E/O activities.
 
ACTION: EOC leadership to identify possible EOC members to participate in the review of the HABs workshop materials.
 
2.6
 
GCOOS Proposals
 
Jochens provided an overview of the GCOOS Data Portal and Standardization of Local Data Nodes projects. Both projects have been funded by NOAA CSC to begin 1/1/2008. The Data Portal development project is funded for one year at $500,000, and the Data Nodes standardization project is funded for three years at approximately $300,000/year. The Board agreed the Committees should be appropriately engaged in these projects (see committee actions above).Jochens reported on the status of pending or planned proposals. A proposal for support of the next three years of the GCOOS-RA was submitted to NOAA CSC on 15 August 2007. This would provide support for the GCOOS Office staff and for costs of holding GCOOS meetings and workshops. Three proposals are under development for the RCOOS funding opportunity by NOAA CSC. The Letters of Intent are due to NOAA on 12 September 2007 and the full proposals are due on 15 November 2007. The first project is to continue development of the Data Portal and then to maintain it, while using the portal as a base to begin development of the Regional Operations Center; Jochens is the lead. The second project is to develop capabilities for integration and interoperability of HF radar data sets for the determination of surface currents and possibly directional waves; Howden is the lead. This project also would result in the completion of a recommended surface current observing system for the Gulf. The third project is to develop a meteorological instrumentation package, likely self-contained, that can be put on available platforms in the Gulf to enhance the real-time observations transmitted via the GTS; Cooper is the lead.
 
Jan van Smirren stated his belief that industry should be engaged for developing the “operational” elements of the system. He raised the point that, unless the development of the data portal is put out for competitive bid, the portal will be at TAMU. The Board discussed this issue with some supporting that the work under this specific proposal should be put out to bid; others did not support this view for this proposal, but felt that the effort cannot be completed by the private sector for the amount of funding available. It should be noted that the proposers of this project firmly believe that once a data portal and regional operations center have been developed and tested, these activities should be transferred to a government or private sector entity. This will be stated in the proposal, due 15 November 2007, for further testing and maintenance of the data portal and development of the prototype regional operations center.
 
Two additional projects were added as a result of discussions during the meeting. Discussions between Beard and the Board resulted in the endorsement of a fourth GCOOS project to conduct a gap analysis; Carron of NGI would be the lead. Efforts to identify federal support to match substantial funds committed by the oil and gas industry to develop a proven 3-D circulation model for the Gulf lead to the conclusion that this project should again be submitted, in revised form, to NOAA CSC; Cooper is the lead. Federal match would broaden the scope of the project to include the Gulf shelves and would result in the public availability of the product.
 
Jochens mentioned that NOAA is facilitating the development of a Gulf Hypoxia Monitoring Implementation Plan. Nancy Rabalais is serving as co-chair of the Steering Committee. Ann Jochens is a member of the Steering Committee and also is participating in a small working group that is establishing a Stakeholders Committee for this project. Parts of this hypoxia plan may be appropriate for consideration as future GCOOS projects.
 
3.0
 
Business Session of Board Meeting
 
3.1
 
Status of the Business Plan
 
Jochens reported that the Business Plan needs a substantial revision to reflect the current approach to planning (e.g., design of specific observing system elements such as HABs), the funding levels (or lack thereof), and the development of the Observing System Plan, E/O Strategic Plan, Communications Strategy, and similar documents. Aspects of this revision, such as a new gap analysis, will require more labor than is presently available.
 
3.2
 
Discussion of Development Activities and the Business Plan
 
The Board discussed obstacles to the full development of the GCOOS. The major issue is funding levels. However, a related issue is the method by which the funds available are provided to the regional associations. The present incremental, project-specific, projects funded for one to three years will not result in the development of sustained, operational regional coastal ocean observing systems. What is needed is a multi-year (five to ten years) relationship between the funding agencies and the regional associations, perhaps through a cooperative agreement, to allow each regional association to handle the funds to develop a sustained operational observing system.
 
ACTION: Roman to draft a statement on improving the RCOOS funding mechanism for consideration by NFRA. Toll and Luther to discuss the concept with the NFRA Executive Committee, on which they serve.
 
Thursday, 6 September 2007
 
3.0
 
Resume Business Session of Board Meeting
 
3.2
 
Continued discussion of Business Plan and Development Activities
 
A plan of action for the revision of the Business Plan was developed. First, Jochens and Nowlin will review the plan, identify needed revisions, and outline an approach for updating the Business Plan. Reviewing and writing assignments by Board members will be made once the areas needing work have been identified. Volunteers were: Alfredo Prelat for the benefits section; Sharon Walker and Mike Spranger for the training section; Ray Toll for the section on linkages of observations to models and products, and Don Roman and Jan van Smirren for sections as needed. It was suggested that the authors of the first draft also be engaged. At least an abbreviated version of the plan will be prepared before the next Board meeting.
 
ACTION: Jochens and Nowlin will review the current draft Business Plan, suggest a new outline, if necessary, and re-write some of the general sections. Then they will assign to Board members and other volunteers sections for revisions.
 
3.3
 
Status and Discussion of GCOOS Communication Plan
 
Nowlin reviewed the discussion on the Communication Plan from the March Board meeting. Comments were not received from the Board, and no action had been taken to revise the draft. The Board agreed it will review the draft and provide comments to Nowlin. Roman will provide detailed comments and will iterate as necessary with Nowlin on the revision.
 
ACTION: Nowlin to send copy of the draft Communication Strategy to all Board members and ask for comments. Comments should be provided to Nowlin by mid October. He will revise before the next Board meeting.
 
4.0
 
Closed Session of Board Meeting
 
4.1
 
Consideration of membership of GCOOS groups based on input from group chairs
 
The Board reviewed the membership of all GCOOS councils and committees.
 
ACTION: Board members and Jochens to contact prospective new members to councils and committees and to obtain bios for circulation to the Board before final decisions are made.
 
4.2
 
Election of Chair
 
Worth Nowlin was elected Chair of the Board of Directors.
 
4.3
 
Date of Next Board Meeting
 
The Board decided the next meeting will be held 26-27 February 2008 on the Mississippi coast. Sharon Walker and Don Roman will host the meeting. The Board also determined that it will hold bi-monthly teleconferences using Chevron’s visual capability. These conferences will be held on the second Thursday of every other month at 1100 Central time. The first two are scheduled for 8 November 2007 and 10 January 2008.
 
ACTION: Jochens to coordinate with the Board members and Cooper to schedule the internet/phone based electronic conferences. The next are scheduled for 1100 Central on November 8, 2007, and on January 10, 2008.
 
ACTION: Walker will investigate suitable venues for the 26-27 February 2008 Board meeting on the Mississippi coast and will inform the GCOOS Office so arrangements can be made.
 
4.4
 
New Business
 
The Board voted Raymond Toll and Buzz Martin to continue to represent the GCOOS-RA to the National Federation of Regional Associations.It was determined that no meeting of the Executive Committee was necessary.
 
The meeting adjourned at 1110 CDT.
 

 

APPENDIX A: GCOOS-RA Board of Directors Meeting Attendees

 

Name Affiliation GCOOS Role 9/5/07 9/6/07
Bart Bibler FL DH Stakeholder Council
Russ Beard NCDDC Chair, Products & Services Committee
Cort Cooper Chevron Board of Directors, Stakeholder Council
Stephan Howden USM Chair, Observing Systems Committee
Ann Jochens TAMU GCOOS Regional Coordinator
Jessica Kastler Chair, Education & Outreach Council
Alexis Lugo-Fernandez MMS Representative for MMS, Board, Stakeholder Council
Mark Luther USF Board of Directors
Buzz Martin TGLO Board of Directors
Worth Nowlin TAMU Board of Directors
Alfredo Prelat Terralliance Board of Directors
Nancy Rabalais LUMCON Board of Directors
Don Roman USM Board of Directors
Joe Stinus NESDIS Observer
Ray Toll SAIC Chair, Board of Directors
Jan van Smirren Fugro GEOS Board of Directors
Sharon Walker JLSMEC Board of Directors, Member Education & Outreach Council
Tami Wells USM GCOOS Education & Outreach Coordinator
Steven Wolfe FL DEP Gulf of Mexico Alliance

*Affiliation Acronyms:
FL DEP = Florida Department of Environmental Protection
FL DH = Florida Department of Health
JLSMEC = J.L. Scott Marine Education Center, USM
LUMCON = Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium
MMS = Minerals Management Service
NCDDC = NOAA National Coastal Data Development Center
NESDIS = NOAA National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service
SAIC = Science Applications International Corporation
TAMU = Texas A&M University
TGLO = Texas General Land Office
USF = University of South Florida
USM = University of Southern Mississippi

 


 

 

APPENDIX B: Provisional Agenda

 

GCOOS Board of Directors Meeting
Houston, Texas
Doubletree Hotel Houston Intercontinental Airport
5-6 September 2007
 

September 5, 2007

0800 Coffee, juice, etc.
0830 Opening of meeting
Reports on Activities of GCOOS Councils and Committees
0845 Discussion of the future of the Stakeholder Council
0905 Education and Outreach Council (Jessica Kastler, Chair)
Activities, plans, and requirements of the EOC
Interactions with Gulf of Mexico Alliance Environmental Education Network
0925 GCOOS Education & Outreach Coordinator (Sharon Walker and Tami Wells)
Introduction of Tami Wells
Work Plan for E/O Coordinator
0955 GCOOS Observing Systems Committee (Stephan Howden, Cair)
Status of Observing System Plan
Other activities, plans, and requirements of the OSC
1025 Coffee
1040 Activities, plans, and requirements of the DMAC Committee (Ann Jochens for Ed Kearns, Chair, and Matthew Howard)
1110 Activities, plans, and requirements of the Products & Services Committee (Russ Beard, Chair, has prepared a handout)
1140 Activities, plans, and requirements of the Membership Committee (Landry Bernard, Chair)
1150 Council/Committee Board Member Liaison Assignments
1200 Lunch
Reports on Development Activities of GCOOS
1330 Status of IOOS, including Ocean.US Office and NOAA’s IOOS Office (Worth Nowlin)
1400 NFRA Activities (Worth Nowlin, PowerPoint prepared by Josie Quintrell)
1415 Next actions in engaging Mexico (Alfredo Prelat)
1430 Collaborations with the Gulf of Mexico Alliance (Ann Jochens and Steve Wolfe)
1445 Review of workshop planning activities (Worth Nowlin)
1500 Status of creation of HABs Observing System Plan (Bart Bibler or Worth Nowlin)
1515 Coffee
1530 GCOOS Proposals
GCOOS Data Portal and Local Data Nodes Projects (Ann Jochens)
Status of pending or planned proposals (Ann Jochens)
Business Session of Board Meeting
1630 Status of the Business Plan (Ann Jochens)
1700 Discussion of Development Activities and the Business Plan
1730 Adjourn meeting for the day
1830 Dinner for Board members at Chez Nous in Humble, TX (Nowlin’s treat)

September 6, 2007

0730 Coffee, juice, etc.
Resume Business Session of Board Meeting
0800 Continued discussion of Business Plan and Development Activities
0830 Status and Discussion of GCOOS Communication Plan (Worth Nowlin and Don Roman)
Closed Session of Board Meeting
0900 Consideration of membership of GCOOS groups based on inputs from group chairs
0915 Election of Chairman
0945 Date of Next Board meeting
New business
1000 Adjourn Board meeting
Coffee
Meeting of Executive Committee
1030 Open Meeting of Executive Committee
1200 Adjourn Meeting