GCOOS Board of Directors and Members Meeting, March 23, 2017Mar 1, 2017 • 3:09 pm
GCOOS’ annual Members meeting is scheduled for March 23 at Le Pavillon hotel in New Orleans. We welcome GCOOS members as well as non-members interested in learning about our mission and programs to join us for this one-day meeting.
Attendees will have the opportunity to hear updates on GCOOS activities from staff and sub-award recipients. We will also welcome representatives from partner organizations in the Gulf, including the U.S. IOOS Program Office, the IOOS Association and the National Academies of Science Gulf Research Program.
Dr. William Burnett, Deputy Commander and Technical Director to the Commander, Navy Meteorology and Oceanography Command, will provide us with an operational demonstration of gliders in the Gulf.
The meeting begins with registration/light breakfast from 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. Lunch is provided at 12:15 p.m. and the afternoon program reconvenes at 1:15 p.m. The meeting wraps up around 5:30 p.m.
Please use this link to register for the meeting by March 10, 2017. We look forward to seeing you at the meeting.
- 8:30 – 9 Check in/light breakfast
- 9 – 9:10 Welcome/Introductions
- 9:10 – 9:15 Remarks from the Bill Lingsch, President and Chair of the Board
- 9:15 – 9:20 Adoption of Agenda
- 9:20 – 10 Overview of key accomplishments during the last year, GCOOS Executive Director Dr. Barbara Kirkpatrick
- 10 – 10:30 Vision of IOOS, New IOOS program director, Carl Gouldman
- 10:30 – 10:45 Break
- 10:45 – 11:15: Hill briefing/gaps campaign, Josie Quintrell, IOOS Association Director
- 11:15 – 11:30 NAS Gulf Research Program Update, Dr. Chris Elfring, Executive Director
- 11:30 – Noon Gulf of Mexico Operational Demonstration Update, Dr. William Burnett, Navy Meteorology and Oceanography Command
- Noon – 12:15 Comments from Congressional representatives
12:15 – 1:15 Lunch (provided)
- 1:15 – 1:35 The Marine Biodiversity Observing Network (MBON) Dr. Frank Muller-Karger, USF
- 1:35 – 2 The Ocean Engineering Program at USM, Dr. Monty Graham, USM
- 2:00 – 3 Products and Services Advisory Council report – Ken Barbour and Dr. Shin Kobara; Outreach and Education report – Chris Verlinde and Dr. Chris Simoniello; Glider workshop/task team report out – Chad Lembke and Dr. Barb Kirkpatrick
- 3 – 3:30 Break
- 3:30 – 3:45 Data Management, Dr. Matt Howard, GCOOS DMAC Coordinator
- 3:45 – 4 Communications, Nadine Slimak, Vetted Communications LLC, GCOOS Contractor
- 4 – 4:15 GCAN (Gulf of Mexico Ocean Acidification Network) Jen Vreeland, GCOOS Research Associate
- 4:15 – 5 Subaward reports: Dr. Eric Milbrandt, Director Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation; Dr. Tracy Fanara, Staff Scientist, Mote Marine Laboratory; Dr. Jordan Beckler, Manager, Ocean Technology Program, Mote Marine Laboratory
- 5 – 5:30 Discussion of the day’s presentations and action items
- 5:30 Adjourn