Call for GCOOS Board Nominees — 2017Jan 17, 2017 • 11:25 am
GCOOS’ Membership Committee is seeking nominations for the organization’s Board of Directors. We are seeking individuals interested in and committed to working within an organization dedicated to provide data, information and products to the Gulf of Mexico stakeholder community that includes the private sector, governmental agencies at all levels, academia and researchers, non-governmental organizations and the general public.
- The nomination deadline is 5 pm (CST), Friday, March 3, 2017
- Ballots will be sent out for a vote on Friday, March 11, 2017
- Voting ends at close of business, Friday, March 24, 2017
Board duties include:
- Setting policy for the organization and providing direction to the Executive Director Revising bylaws and other documents as necessary;
- Establishing and maintaining the structure of the Regional Association including approval of appointments to the RA’s Councils, Committees, Task Teams or other groups;
- Approving budgets, the business model, proposals and endorsements requested by members for proposals they intend to submit.
About Board Service:
- Terms are three years and begin at the autumn Board meeting (usually held in September);
- The Board meets twice annually in person and via phone every two months; the Board may also be called to meet when priority situations arise;
- Directors are not paid; however expenses related to GCOOS in-person Board meetings are reimbursed;
- Self-nominations are welcome.
To make a nomination:
- Confirm that the person/people named are Members of the GCOOS-RA or affiliated with a member organization (see http://gcoos.tamu.edu/?page_id=2031 for the GCOOS Members list). Members must produce or use data or products from the Gulf of Mexico and its estuaries or be employed by an entity that does so. If a nominee is not a Member or a Member’s representative, they should request membership via Barb Kirkpatrick (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Confirm that the person/people named are willing to serve as Board member(s) if elected.
- Indicate the sector for which the person is being nominated (government, academic, industry, or education and outreach).
- Provide a short biography (two or three paragraphs) detailing their work and interests as related to the GCOOS-RA.
- Email the information, including contact information, to GCOOS Research Associate Jennifer Vreeland at email@example.com and Michael Lee, Chair, GCOOS Membership Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The directors whose board terms expire in Fall 2017 are:
- David Driver, BP America, Inc.
- Pasquale (Pat) Roscigno, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
- Steven Buschang, Texas General Land Office
- Nancy Rabalais, Louisiana State University
- Joe Swaykos, NOAA National Data Buoy Center
- Sara Graves, University of Alabama Huntsville
- Plus one seat that is currently vacant